Thursday, October 29, 2015

BLOG N˚10 | Interview Reflection



1. Please explain how you are spending your mentorship time (Is it at a workplace or somewhere else?  Are you shadowing?  Are you able to do tasks that are meaningfully related to the topic?  If so, what?  Are there other people who are experts in the location?  Etc...)

I have just recently switched mentorships but both have been incredibly helpful and insightful towards my senior topic. My first mentorship was at a general practice clinic where I shadowed nurses at a clinic setting. Clinics are small and cover, for the most part, basically anything as far as health care goes whereas in the hospital, I only work in one department specified for a certain part of healthcare. In the clinic, I helped give blood pressure, give out blood tests, help call in patients, file in medical records, and more. In my new mentorship, I am volunteering at the Queen Of The Valley hospital where I help out at the Labor & Delivery department. In a hospital, everything is much bigger and definitely a lot more fast-paced and overwhelming. I usually provide the patients with things they want such as ice or pillows, deliver blood and urine tests to the lab, put tags on the newborn babies, and many more. This has done many things as far as gaining experience in my senior topic and in many ways, has done much more. Being surrounded by the environment that I am very interested in has given me a lot more depth into knowing how the health care team works as far as a profession and a field.

2.  How did you find your mentor?  How did you convince this person to help you? 

My father was a registered nurse at Queen Of The Valley hospital (he has since transferred to a different hospital). However, through him, I have met Tiffany Ramirez who helps organize hospital volunteers. It wasn't very difficult at all to convince her to help me as she has worked with my father before and has worked with many teenagers in my position.

3. How would you rate your comfort level with your mentor at this point in your relationship?  How does this relate to the time you've spent so far at mentorship/with this person?

As she is very experienced with working with young teenagers (some who haven't even had volunteer experience prior to coming to he hospital), she was extremely kind and helpful and makes me feel at ease in an environment where it can get extremely stressful. Moreover, my position as a volunteer at Queen Of The Valley seems very secure and something I would be able to keep for a long while. I haven't spent much time so far working with my new department but they have had many junior volunteers before and know exactly how to handle volunteers who have not have had the experience and who may not understand medical language. The doctors and nurses I work with are extremely kind and in no way make me feel uncomfortable and overwhelmed as they try to be as helpful as they can.
 
4. What went well in this interview?  Why do you think so?  What do you still need to improve?  How do you know?  How will you go about it?

As Tiffany is a very kind person, she didn't intimidate me at all in the interview and I a;ways find it so easy to talk to her. I felt the interview was very natural and didn't really feel like an interview at all. However, I wish I could've asked a lot more follow-up questions to help me get the most information I could possibly have gotten. This is something I will keep in my mind for my next interview to come and to really take advantage of possibly one of the best resources one could have in wanting to work in the medical field - the source of a person in the field themselves. 


No comments:

Post a Comment