Wednesday, October 21, 2015

BLOG N˚9 | Advisory Prep N˚3


1. State whether or not you currently have a mentor, and what the status of your interview is with that person (I have completed the interview, I have scheduled the interview, I have not scheduled the interview, etc).

At this very moment, I am in the middle of switching mentors. I used to intern at Dahiya General Practice Clinic in Carson, CA whereas now, I will be volunteering at Queen Of The Valley Hospital in West Covina, CA (working in the maternity department). I haven't scheduled an interview as I am not sure who I will be interviewing for my second interview as I am in the middle of switching mentors. However, I will most likely be interviewing with my first mentor who is a registered nurse at the Carson clinic.

2. At this point, your research is probably guiding your studies toward more specific areas within your topic.  Name the area or two you find most promising and explain your reasons.  

Specific studies in my research is going towards nursing and becoming a registered nurse. Whenever I am at my mentorship, I am always following the registered nurses instead of the doctors for a number of reasons. For one, doctors simply do not have the time to stop and explain to an intern what exactly they are doing. Since there are usually several nurses to one doctor, I would be able to help out with the nurses with a number of different tasks. Furthermore, my very first mentor (and my first interviewee) is a registered nurse working in the emergency room department at Queen Of The Valley hospital. Being able to interview an RN and work closely beside many registered nurses has given me an extensive idea of what role nurses take part in to delivering patient care. Although doctors may be the leaders of the healthcare team in a hospital or clinic, nurses tend to spend a lot more time with patients than the doctors do themselves. This would be because the nurses would have to prepare the patients before they see the doctor, communicating with the patients by asking questions about their condition, taking their blood pressure, etc. With a topic as general as patient care, from what I've observed, no health care provider works closer with individual patients than the nurses.

3. What kinds of sources do you think will help you in the next month to gain more research depth?  Where will you go to get them?

There are many medical journals by registered nurses and podcasts that I could definitely look into. Podcasts are usually found online (a podcast by the name of MediCast is found in iTunes for free and is hosted by different paramedics each week discussing recent innovations in effective patient care) and different online medical journals (such as The American Journal Of Nursing - the oldest and longest-running nursing journal in the world - and Medscape, which provides an archive of medical journals from different sources, decades, and a variety of topics). With technology today, extensive research can be completely done from the internet as long as sources are reliable.

4. Write down a possible EQ.  Please don't worry about wording other than ensuring that it provides the option for multiple correct answers.  At this point, the senior team is most interested in understanding your thought process.

With my extensive research on patient care, many possible EQ's have come up to my mind. However, one I am most interested in and will be working towards to answer through extensive research is:

What is the most vital component towards delivering effective patient care?


Now this questions brings up many things with specific words. "Most vital component" is is crucial the question specifically asks for what is the single most important element. "Delivering effective patient care" implies that healthcare teams should be not only patient-centric, but most importantly an emphasis on the word "effective." 

No comments:

Post a Comment