Wednesday, October 7, 2015

BLOG N˚8 | Independent Component N˚1 Proposal


1) Describe in detail what you plan to do for your 30 hours?

For my independent component, I decided to take on some classes at a company called First Class CPR (you can visit their website here). At First Class CPR, it is a full on course on teaching people how to perform CPR on many different types of people of a variety ages. Before doing hands-on training, I would have to take online courses through their website and this is self-paced depending on how comfortable I am with getting the gist on CPR performance before I actually perform it.

After taking this online course, I would have to go to their building down at Upland where I will work with an instructor on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays to train me physically how to perform CPR within 30 days of the completion of my online course. Each class takes 2 1/2 hours to complete. I will be working with other groups of people as well in this class as we all learn how to perform adult CPR and AED use, infant CPR, child CPR and AED use, and much more!

After completing my training with the instructor and class, my skills will then be evaluated by an authorized AHA Heartsaver Instructor. If I do perform what I've learned correctly and effectively, I will then be given a certificate from the American Heart Association.

2) Discuss how or what you will do to meet the expectation of showing 30 hours of evidence?

Although showing evidence of the online course can be quite tricky, I will take many screenshots of my online course and my certification of completion of my online classes. Once I have my course already completed, I will have to physically be with an instructor and a group of people who will also be learning how to perform CPR. Each class with an instructor takes 2 1/2 hours long and the classes are on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. I will take many photos for evidence and provide the contact information of my CPR instructor so you can check-in if I have been coming to their class regularly. Once completely my training with the instructor, I will be tested and hopefully receive my certificate.

3) Discuss how or what will be doing will help you explore your topic more in depth.

As my topic is patient care, CPR is one of the basics one can learn to dip their feet in the water of healthcare. From taking the online courses, I will definitely have a more in-depth understanding on how our hearts work and a more in-depth understanding on how to save a person's life in certain situations. As I have never performed CPR before, this will definitely a very unique experience for me and a very useful one (even if I wasn't planning to work in the field of patient care!). I am anticipating that working with the instructor and training with other people who want to learn about the subject as well will not only give me a different perspective on how to perform CPR in a way online courses couldn't, but would hopefully motivate me and excite me to learn more about saving a person's life. Not only will I officially be titled "CPR Certified" completing this course, but I hope to get a better understanding on how to care for a patient.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to see more detail on how this is going to take 30 hours. Most CPR courses are 4 hours long. Yours sounds like it will be about 8 hours long. Nowhere can I find evidence that this is anywhere near 30 hours.

    ReplyDelete