Monday, August 24, 2015

BLOG N˚2 | Summer Mentorship

1) Reginald Doctor / Phone: (626) 217-7715 / Citrus Valley Health Partners

2) Reginald Doctor works as a registered nurse at Queen Of The Valley Hospital. Registered nurses are essentially the right hand man of the doctors, and they work to care for patients in need. And that is my senior topic. Patient care.

3) a. How was the experience overall working with patients?
It was definitely quite an interesting way to help people in need, which is something I figured out I love. Hospital employees treated me with lots of respect and working with patients definitely has altered my perspective of the crazy environment of patient care.

b. What sorts of things did I do?
I did a variety of tasks that included making beds, leading people to lobbies, helping make phone calls, pass trays, and tried to assist the doctor and nurses care for their patients. I try not to get in the way but at the same time, try to be as assertive as I can be. Really tried to put in effort to be the most effective helper I can. However, I wasn't allowed to work with all of the scary stuff involving hospital works having to do with bodily fluids and such. Instead, I would pull out wheelchairs and help pass out meals. Although it doesn't seem much, every bit of help is appreciated in such a stressful environment.

c. What are some advice you can give to people who are starting off with volunteering at hospitals?
Volunteering at a hospital takes a lot more physical endurance than I thought. That goes for walking quickly around, standing for long periods of times, lifting things, and going back and forward to do your tasks. I also noticed that you have to always be assertive, as you don't want to be in the way of the officials who are trying to help a patient out.

4) The most thing I've learned about volunteering at a hospital is that even though I'm not the wonderful heroes who save the lives of those in need, doing little things such as cleaning the beds or passing out meals on just simply doing little things is one thing closer to just making a difference and helping out those in need. I do the things that the professionals don't have the time to do. There is a feeling of self-worth and pride after improving the lives of others. Yes, as I mentioned before, all the things I did weren't very significant. But the little things do make a difference.

5) My senior project is going to be patient care. After helping out in the hospital and finally seeing and experiencing the extremely important field of patient care, it is something I would want to keep being a part of for a good part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment